Family Relationships

Join other women in the sandwich generation - share ideas and solutions as you learn to nourish family relationships without starving yourself.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Join Our Virtual Book Tour Wednesday


Looking for a great summer beach read? Don't miss our monthly Virtual Book Tour tomorrow, July 25. Log on and meet author Kathleen Toomey Jabs who will join us for a Q & A about her book, Black Wings. Her novel invites us into a world of secret societies, military tradition, and deception as Lt. Bridget Donovan unofficially investigates the crash of one of the Navy's first female fighter pilots, who also happens to have been her former roommate when both attended the U.S. Naval Academy.

Kathleen, a graduate of the Naval Academy herself, has created a mystery praised as "a chilling, fact-paced and intelligent story, wonderfully written."  You'll be drawn in by her engaging book and enjoy the ride.

Come by tomorrow, explore our Q & A and ask Kathleen more questions about how to tell your own story. 

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Likes to Read said...

Hi Kathleen,
I'm always curious about women who choose to go into the military. I almost joined the air force out of high school, but thought the rules would be too strict for my temperament and instead went a completely different path.
What was the hardest thing about being a woman at the Naval Academy for you? And how do you think you have grown from your experiences?

9:03 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, thanks so much for writing. The hardest thing about being a woman was the scarcity of women! I had so many good friends in high school, but it was harder to form friendships at USNA because we were all scattered and busy. I did make some great friends, male and female, but it was a very complicated environment.

As far as what I learned, I was exposed to many new things that pushed my both physically and mentally. From rapelling over walls, learning to speak Russian, drafting navigation charts to even wearing a uniform 7 days a week, everything was new and different. I learned to embrace change, expect it and even welcome it. I owe a lot of my confidence now as well as my desire to help and mentor others to those early experiences.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, thanks so much for writing! The hardest thing about being a woman was the scarcity of women! The class of 1988 started with about 110 women out of 1200 plebes and we finished with about 80. I only had five other plebe females in my first year company and we were all very scattered and busy. I made some great friends but it was a very complicated environment.

As far as growing, I learned and tried so many new things. From rapelling over walls to speaking Russian, to drafting navigation charts and even wearing a uniform 7 days a week. Everything was new! I grew to expect and even welcome change. Even now I notice I tend to like a lot of things going on. I also find I want to give back and help mentor other people, male and female to help them reach their potential.

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home